"World peace is possible only through world government." That is the conclusion voiced by many leaders in government, science and education.
Yet, these same people generally admit that such a utopia is merely wishful thinking. This world's nations could not agree on who would rule or how.
What about it? Are world government and universal peace impossible?
Believe it or not, a world full of peace, happiness and prosperity is not only possible, it is coming — and in our time!
Before you continue, be sure to get your Bible, a pen or pencil and some paper. Reading and writing out the Bible verses in this study will help you remember what you'll be learning.
1. More than 1,900 years ago, God sent a special messenger to earth with important news for humanity. Who was that messenger and what was His message? Mark 1:14, Matthew 9:35.
Jesus Christ was an advance news broadcaster — telling us the news before it happens. Christ's message was big news a sensational announcement of the most colossal future event ever to occur in human history! His message was the Gospel (meaning "good news") of a coming government — the Kingdom of God — a literal, world-ruling government to be established on earth.
2. Who will be the head of that future world-ruling government? Luke 1:30-33, Revelation 11:15, John 18:36-37. Where did Jesus Christ go after being brought back to life? Acts 1:11. Will He return to the earth? Same verse and John 14:3. Will He restore all things? Acts 3:20-21.
After being killed and then resurrected,
The United Nations' flag symbolizes man's hope for peace. But how will peace really come? Christ went to His Father's throne in heaven from which they rule the universe (Hebrews 1:1-3, 8:1). Christ is now looking forward to His return to restore the government of God over the entire earth.
The government of God at one time did exist on earth, perhaps millions of years ago, when God placed a third of His created angels on earth. But His government ceased to be administered here when the archangel Lucifer (now Satan), whom God made ruler over the earth, rebelled against God and attempted to replace Him as ruler of the entire universe (Isaiah 14:12-14).
3. Though we will not know the day or the hour of Christ's return (Matthew 25:13, 24:36), can we still know generally when it will occur? Matthew 24:32-33. What signs did Jesus say would precede His Second Coming? Read and summarize verses 3-31.
4. Just how bad will world conditions become immediately before Christ's Second Coming? Matthew 24:21. What would happen if these days of world peril or tribulation were allowed to continue? Verse 22.
5. Has there ever been a time of trouble as will occur just before Christ's return? Matthew 24:21, Mark 13:19. Also read Jeremiah 30:7, Daniel 12:1 and Joel 2:2.
Each of these references shows that this future time of crisis will have no equal. Therefore, they can only be referring, to the same great climactic period of worldwide trouble! They refer to events soon to occur, for only in this age of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons has the destruction of all human life been possible.
6. Will Christ intervene in world affairs to cut short this time of great tribulation, and thus prevent the annihilation of all humanity? Mark 13:20.
Just before all human life would otherwise be blasted out of existence, Christ will return! He will intervene at the last moment to save humanity from extinction.
7. Will the entire world see Christ at His return? Matthew 24:27, 30. Will a mighty trumpet blast announcing His return be heard by all? Matthew 24:31, I Thessalonians 4:16.
The greatest event in human history will be the return of Jesus Christ to this earth! It will be a dramatic, earthshaking event.
The United Nations General Assembly can't bring world peace but peace is coming, and soon! The whole world will hear and see Jesus coming in great power and glory.
8. Who will come with Christ? Matthew 25:31, Revelation 19:14. Who else will accompany Christ as He descends from the sky? Zechariah 14:5 (last part), I Thessalonians 4:14-17.
Christ will be accompanied by a powerful army composed of millions of angels, as well as the "saints" — members of His true Church who will have just become spirit members of God's divine Family.
9. Will Christ be welcomed by everyone, or will many view Him as an invader from outer space and attempt to fight Him? Revelation 17:14. But will Christ (the Lamb) totally defeat them? Same verse and Revelation 19:11-16.
Many of earth's inhabitants will refuse to yield to Christ's authority, perhaps thinking He is an enemy alien. They will be angry at Christ and attempt to fight Him. He will therefore have to subdue the world and force humanity, at first, to submit to His rule.
The nations will finally come to learn, through experience, that the returned Christ is a loving ruler, and that His righteous rule leads to peace, happiness and prosperity.
10. What is one of the first things that will be done after Christ returns? Revelation 20:1-3.
Satan, who is responsible for having influenced humanity to sin (Ephesians 2:2, Revelation 12:9), will be banished! His evil influence will no longer be around.
11. Will the immortal saints assist Christ in ruling the nations of mortal human beings for a thousand years? Daniel 7:22, Revelation 2:26-27, 3:21, 5:10, 20:4.
In the coming government of God, all in Christ's administration will be spirit beings, appointed by Him to many different positions of responsibility.
12. Will Christ and the saints rule righteously and with true justice? Isaiah 11:2-5, Matthew 20:25-28.
Christ and His assistants will rule with godly love with outgoing concern for the welfare of their subjects. Their rule will be for the good of all the people!
13. Will the knowledge of God's way be taught in the wonderful world tomorrow? Isaiah 2:2-4. Will that knowledge eventually spread over the entire earth? Isaiah 11:9.
After establishing His government over the nations, Christ and His assistants will begin to reeducate the world, teaching God's law of love. The nations will convert their weapons of warfare into instruments for peaceful productivity.
The various physical laws that regulate our minds and bodies, as well as God's spiritual law — the Ten Commandments that regulates our spiritual well-being, will be taught and followed throughout the earth. The result will be vigorous, vibrant health. And people's lives will become filled with enthusiasm, dynamic interest, constructive activity, happiness and joy!
Your Bible shows that a brighter tomorrow really is on the horizon! A utopia of peace, prosperity and happiness is coming soon! (For more information, read our two free booklets: Are We Living In the Last Days? and World Peace How It Will Come?)