|Outline - How To Give a Sermonette
|Worldwide Church of God
- To give you practice.
- Settle congregation at beginning of service.
- Cover minor point, example, assigned point. [But it does not have to be of minor importance]
- Reinforce pastor, sermon.
- To show off speaking ability.
- To move, shake, save the church in 12 minutes.
- To cover major subject.
- To go overtime/cut into sermon time.
10 to 15 minutes on a small topic, or one facet of larger topic, or difficult scripture, or example — healing, blessing, encouraging. Or ask pastor for subject suggestions.
- Limit subject to what can be covered in 10-15 minutes.
- Difficult scripture i.e. Mt. 28:1, 6 resurrection; Mk. 7:18-19 spiritual defilement, pork; I Tim. 4: doctrine of demons, no marriage.
- One facet of larger topic — Prayer, 3 times a day: Being in spirit of prayer, heart in prayers, position, content of prayer. Sabbath — what you can do, study and pray unhurriedly, time to meditate.
- Explain examples — healing, blessing, news event in light of prophecy, for encouragement.
- Don't apologize (time, preparation, etc.)
- Know exactly where you are headed: Limit topic. Think about response you want.
- Be warm and friendly — not real heavy.
- Grab attention quickly — short time — don't waste time.
- Specific Purpose Statement (SPS) — stick to it.
- Stick to key issues of subject — no time for wandering.
- Assume nothing — explain background and points clearly.
- Get a phrase, slogan, basic idea that will stick and repeat it.
- Round off, summarize with short, proper conclusion.
POINTS TO REMEMBER:
- Is subject appropriate?
- Is it too broad?
- Is organization good?
- Is number of scriptures appropriate? (Not too many — not too few?)
- Is it interesting?
COMMON PROBLEMS: (From last year's evaluation)
- "lacked punch"
- "out of focus"
- "practice reading scriptures ahead of time"
- "choose more specific topic"
- "needed more stir"
- "introduced too many ideas"
|Publication Date: 1985|
| Back To Top
The address and phone number for the Worldwide Church of God given for material are no longer valid for obtaining the material offered in booklets, magazines, telecast and radio broadcast.
HWALibrary.com has all material offered on this site 100% free. You do not need to call or mail your requests, simply do a search for the material offered on our site.
The Worldwide Church changed their name and beliefs after Mr. Armstrong's death.
Visit our FAQ page for instructions on downloading audio and video files.
Hello, and welcome to our Sabbath and Holy Day service tab. The services provided are selected from the recorded library of this website HWALibrary.com.
Services are posted every Sabbath or Holy Day. Our service consists of 3 hymns, a Sermonette, a hymn, the Sermon and a final hymn.
Continue to the Sabbath Service page.
Bible Study Services
Hello, and welcome to our Bible Study service tab. The services provided are selected from the recorded library of this website HWALibrary.com.
Bible Study services are posted each Wednesday. Our service consists of an opening hymn, a Bible Study and a final hymn.
Continue to the Bible Study Service page.